Monday 31 December 2012

As with Ceaseless Voice They Cry

“O Lord, Open thou our lips, and our mouths shall shew forth thy praise.”
Well, friends. It's the end of another year. I'm feeling quite glad about the frequency with which I've written in this blog over the last 12 moments. Moments seems like a more apropos word than months suddenly. I'd like to keep up this blog and improve it if I can. I have another, secret blog, which I write in purely for the sake of my own feelings, and every year I select a theme to form my thoughts around. I'd like to do the same for this one. Since I have two blogs, I'll need two themes. I've decided to go with Vision for the other blog, and Voice for this one. I'm choosing voice as a theme for the year 2013 because I've been realizing, in the dregs of this year, how important it is to use one's voice and how damaging it can be, sometimes, to remain silent. I'm choosing vision for the secret blog because vision is the thing that precedes voice. One must have thoughts before one can have words. The type and content of my posts shouldn't change much, they'll just all be formed around the subject of voice. Voice can mean lots of different things, you'll see. . .

I've also realized that there is another connection between vision and voice. Prophets are strong in both of these areas. A prophet's task is to give voice to what is visible, and prophecy is one of the spiritual gifts that is supposed to be desired.

    And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”
    Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a burning coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth and said: “Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for.”
(Isaiah 6:5-7 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment