Saturday 13 October 2012

Caroline Bird's "Trouble Came to the Turnip"

Trouble Came to the Turnip

When trouble came to the village,
I put my love in the cabbage-cart
and we rode, wrapped in cabbage,
to the capital.
When trouble came to the capital,
I put my love in the sewage pipe,
and we swam, wrapped in sewage,
to the sea.
When trouble came to the sea,
I put my love inside a fish
and we flitted, wrapped in fish,
to the island.
When trouble came to the island,
I put my love on a pirate ship
and we squirmed, wrapped in pirate,
to the nunnery.
When trouble came to the nunnery,
I put my love inside a prayer book
and we repented, wrapped in prayer,
to the prison.
When trouble came to the prison,
I put my love on a spoon
and we balanced, wrapped in mirror,
to the soup.
When trouble came to the soup,
I put my love inside a stranger
and we gritted, wrapped in a mouth
to the madhouse.
When trouble came to the madhouse,
I put my love on a feather
and we flapped, wrapped in a feather,
to the fair.
When trouble came to the fair,
I put my love inside a rat,
and we plagued, wrapped in rat,
to the village.
When trouble came to the village,
I put my love in the turnip-lorry
and we sneaked, wrapped in turnip,
a hurried kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment